dog forums 4 everyone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

guinea pigs does anyone know how to get two bores to like each other

5 posters

Go down

guinea pigs does anyone know how to get two bores to like each other Empty guinea pigs does anyone know how to get two bores to like each other

Post by sharreem Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:50 am

anyone got any of these lttle critters? we have 5. 3 females in one hutch and two males both in separate hutches.
Does anyone have a good solution to get bores to like each other??/ I would love for them to be in the same hutch together and huddle up and snuggle like our girls? One is an abbsynium and the other is a coronet. The abby is around 1 (we rescued him) and the coronet came from a pet shop so we dont know his age...couldnt stand to see such a beautiful animal behind glass in a petshop.
We have their hutches side by side but when we try to put them together in the grazing pen they put their hair up and chatter their teeth. They have never had a fight but I dont want them too either.
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1215

Back to top Go down

guinea pigs does anyone know how to get two bores to like each other Empty Re: guinea pigs does anyone know how to get two bores to like each other

Post by Mali Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:41 am

Sorry I dont have any experience in guinea pigs to tell you the truth.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3782

Back to top Go down

guinea pigs does anyone know how to get two bores to like each other Empty Re: guinea pigs does anyone know how to get two bores to like each other

Post by Beth<3 Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:58 am

Hi there Smile
I have had many guinea pigs in the past and here is what i suggest.

1. Are the hutches acceptable size males need more room than girls? And like there own space.
2. Take both male out of there hutches and find neutral territory e.g. bath tubs are good. Watch them closely; mounting, small nips and sniffing are all pretty normal behaviors. If a bad fight does occur make sure you have a towel help break them up.
3. If all goes well clean out the hutches with something like white vinegar so all smell is gone. Place the boys in the same hutch and once again watch for any bad fights.

Most male won’t be as interested in each other as the girls. If there is a small fight every now and then don’t worry as long as no blood is drawn it isn’t a worry.

Good luck hope this helps
helps
Beth<3
Beth<3
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 886

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:58 am

Thanks Beth I will try.
Yes the hutches are huge!! This is why I would like to get rid of one as it takes all my energy to pull one around the yard. They are free grazing hutches (no wire bottom) with the sleeping part attached. We have a big portable grazing pen (like a puppy pen) that the kids sit in and play with their little critters in. This is where we try to get the boys to be nice but I am worried they will attck each other. We havent let them near each other as they raise their hair on their backs and chatter there teeth.
I will try them again tomorrow but Fred the Coronet just wants to chase poor Clover.
I think if we didnt have females close by they would accept each other I dont know.
Thanks for the vinegar tip!!!
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by josiecatmeow Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:06 am

I agree with Beths suggestion, it is generally hard to get adult males to be chummy but if they tolerate each other you will be able to keep them in the same hutch. keeping the girls away while they adjust to each other will help. Generally though only males intoduced to each other while young will get along.
Cheers,
Suzanne

josiecatmeow

Number of posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:22 am

thanks suzanne such a great post and welcome!!!
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1292

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:55 am

Thanks Suzzanne,
I dont think we will have success with these boys they are just too old I think.
I suppose more grass gets mowed with three hutches...well thats what i try to convince my husband with anyway haha
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down