dog forums 4 everyone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone have any ideas to help me control my dog in public?

+2
Al
bubblesbaby
6 posters

Go down

Does anyone have any ideas to help me control my dog in public? Empty Does anyone have any ideas to help me control my dog in public?

Post by bubblesbaby Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:24 pm

Hi guys,does anyone have any ideas on how to control my small female sterilized tenterfeild terrier in public please?
We love to go to the park and beach with our dogs,but having two small kids and holding the dogs while playing on the swings etc,is difficult,so I let the dogs run around free,but Milly chases after other dogs,if someone comes walking through the park with a dog on the lead,milly will run up to it trying to bite it,she is tiny,but hates big dogs,only out,not at home,she is fine with all dogs,very playful.
but it is hard when I am by myself,and Milly doesnt come back when she is called,usually she does but not when attacking other dogs,and i cant run after her as my baby is just starting to walk,so cant leave them.so dont know what to do as my son loves his dog,but she is annoying a lot of people around here! Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Twisted Evil Mad Sad No Very Happy
bubblesbaby
bubblesbaby

Number of posts : 168

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have any ideas to help me control my dog in public? Empty Re: Does anyone have any ideas to help me control my dog in public?

Post by Al Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:42 am

You sound like you really have your hands full.

I don't have any children but know how absolutely frustrating it is when the dog runs off and seemingly goes deaf.

I remember being at a leash free beach making a complete spectacle of myself in my attempts to get my dog to come back to me. We actually had an amused audience and my dog was having a great old time. So embarassing....... But.....

......that dog now has near perfect recall and even though it took a bit of work, never again will I be the laughing stock of beach goers. Laughing

I never did obedience with my other dogs and walking them was like taking part in a tractor pull but I did join with my naughty tear away (and now my others) and it is one of the best things I have ever done for my dogs (and for my sanity).

I must admit after the first and even second class I kind of felt like not going back but then I started to see it paying off and began to really enjoy it myself and it quite amazed me how much more I bonded to my dog.

I know having kids can make it logisticlly more difficult but if you can get to training I would definately recommend it. If you find a local club it is usually around $40 for a 12 month membership then about $2 or $3 for the actual class. You are not commited to having to go every single week. Even if you join and go when ever you can make it that would help.

When Milli gets to ignore you and run up to other dogs like that she reinforcing her own behaviour and as they get to practice the undesirable behaviour more, the more ingrained and possibly worse it becomes so personally I would leave her at home for the time being until she has some more training. It will make your trips to the beach and playground alot less stressful and she won't be continually reinforcing her own bad behaviour. If you can't leave her at home can you keep her on lead and tether her to something?

The important thing is that she is never allowed to practice this behaviour at all by whatever means fits in best with your life. Running up to other dogs like that leaves her open to being attacked herself or possibly exasserbating or creating on lead issues for the other persons dog, not to mention the stress it obviously causes you trying to juggle kids and dogs.

I posted a while back about recall in beth3's crazy hound topic not sure if that is any help to you but if you can't join a dog training club you could possibly practise at home for a few minutes when ever you think about it.

The trick is not to go from low distractions straight to high distractions but just make it a gradual process and a really long lead can come in handy when making the transition with the level of distraction.

It can all sound a bit too much like hard work but that is not helped at all by my wordy way of describing things. You will find that once you put it into practise it actually starts to become second nature.

Best wishes.

Al

Number of posts : 36

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have any ideas to help me control my dog in public? Empty Re: Does anyone have any ideas to help me control my dog in public?

Post by bubblesbaby Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:48 am

Thanks for that Al,great advice will look in to it... Very Happy
bubblesbaby
bubblesbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:56 am

yes I agree with Al obedience is fantastic. I did two years of it with Angel. The best thing we did was to practice recall through a tunnel of people and dogs. First we would weave in and out the tunnel saying leave.{a row of trainers and dogs) on one sde with another dog doing the same at the other side. THEN WE WOULD WALK OUR DOG THROUGH THE MIDDLE AND (whoops sorry about yelling lol)tell them to stay. walk to the other end then call come. They have to ignore all around them and only concentrate on you.
I found this was great for angel as she wanted to always say hi to everyone and learnt not to do this.
otherwise take along a long rope to tie her up with away from a walking track

good luck
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1215

Back to top Go down

Post by bubblesbaby Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:12 am

ok,thanks for the advice Sharreem,great!! Very Happy
bubblesbaby
bubblesbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by herbiedog Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:05 pm

Herbie is a norfolk.JRT and just when you think..yes I have cracked this...he does something that make you realise no I havn't....

He is a lot better off the lead then on but we have a problem with bigger dogs too ... on the lead... especially when I have him he can feel the change in me when we meet another dog..he seems to have to meet the other dog several times before he trust them and then he is OK
herbiedog
herbiedog
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1832

Back to top Go down

Post by oldboi Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:14 pm

My mates were all taught to walk off leads so the problem outside or in strange places was not a worry, but we now have a smaller mate an yes it's alot harder. Unfortunately nowdays your not allowd to walk them without a lead...umm ?
But i taught mine in the early hours or wen the population wasn't around an that made the transition to populated times alot easier. Takes time but well worth the effort.
I think it's cruel to have them on leads, like puttin a harness on your children. Means you don't trust them... Wink
Just my opinion tho... Cool
oldboi
oldboi
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 773

Back to top Go down

Post by bubblesbaby Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:30 pm

good points oldboi,yes i am one too like them having a run free,but you are right,too many people around so will limit it,i think.
yes herbie dog my milly is like that,once shes had a go,she settles down an wants to play!but most owners/dogs are quite weary of her by then,an off they go!she is the best lil dog otherwise,but as i say to the other dog walkers at the park,she thinks she is a rottwieler! but she seems to have got worse since being desexed,and i have heard this happens,also i think she maybe protecting her family,but still will have to stop it,as it is a bit dangerous. Very Happy
oh i love jrt,a norfolk type havent heard of them before,herbie is gourgous!!what a different looking jack,similiar shape but different colouring,he looks like anougher breed i cant think of atm,(lack of sleep,baby unsettled atm ..lol )some other type of terrier?? Sleep Razz Very Happy
bubblesbaby
bubblesbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:19 pm

Sounds like you have your hands well and truly full. To teach hilary to come back I put her on a ten metre lunging rein that they use for horses and if she didn't come back I would bring her in with the rein and reward her. Now I only have to rattle a schmackos packet and she is in. That way she can have her freedom but you can also control her if the need arose. Remember what Cesar Millan says calm and assertive when dealing with dogs and the most important excercise, discipline and then affection. Perhaps read up on his site for this problem he does do wonders.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3782

Back to top Go down

Post by bubblesbaby Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:08 am

hiya mini,gr8 advice as always,you sure know ya stuff!!yes Ceaser is gr8 I should follow him,just never find enough hours in the day,yes part of havin my hands full hey.but yes i have foxtel so will try n watch him sometime,thanx!! Very Happy
bubblesbaby
bubblesbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:34 am

No problems I just try and help with the experience I have had with my own dogs I am using less and less verbal responses to my dogs now and using more sounds and touch and the effects are much more dramatic and it saves me telling  me time and time again. Also with Mali with his ball if he goes into hyper mode I wait for him to sit and then lie down I do not have the hyper dog I used to and I do it now on my terms not his!! My relationship with my dogs has become alot calmer and much closer it is great!
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3782

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down