dog forums 4 everyone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone know how to tell the sex of a cockateil???

+2
Beth<3
sharreem
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Does anyone know how to tell the sex of a cockateil??? Empty Does anyone know how to tell the sex of a cockateil???

Post by sharreem Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:34 am

We own a cockateil. We have had he/she for about 6 years but have never know what he or she is. I have been told that males have stripes under their wings... well ours has this... I have been told that females have bright yellow on their faces.. well ours has this also.
So is he/she a boy or girl... he has both???? let me know if you are a breeder I would loe to find out what Louie is hah
What a Face Question lol!
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1215

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know how to tell the sex of a cockateil??? Empty Re: Does anyone know how to tell the sex of a cockateil???

Post by Beth<3 Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:03 am

what colour is the bird.. i have been told that dark grey ones with bright yellow faces and orange cheeks are boys .. I had one that looked like this and i am pretty sure that it was a boy... mates other teils soo Very Happy .

WE have also been told that males have stripe all the way along the underside of the wing but our boy never had them her way grey..

if you show a pic of the bird i can take a stab at it but they are very hard to sex...

Ask a vet Rolling Eyes

boys are also better talkers so i am told
Beth<3
Beth<3
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 886

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know how to tell the sex of a cockateil??? Empty Re: Does anyone know how to tell the sex of a cockateil???

Post by croc Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:39 pm

firstly it will depend on colourr, if its grey, cinnamon,pearl,whiteface etc it will be very easy to determine sex, the problems start if they are straight pied or lutino/albino, if you can show me a pic it should be easy, also with the underwing, its the female that retains spots on her wing that would resemble a line, also under the tail a male would have a straight colour, females will be speckled, it would be easier to see the bird. cheers
croc
croc
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:48 pm

sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:50 pm

Does anyone know how to tell the sex of a cockateil??? Louie_11
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:53 pm

looks like a boy to me Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1292

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 pm

well we call him boy haha hope his is. Very Happy
he can only whistle but we got him as a hand me down
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:01 pm

i dont no 100% for sure but that was my guess! Razz
hopefully a person that no's bird can come along and solve your mistery Smile Does anyone know how to tell the sex of a cockateil??? 7768
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by croc Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:36 pm

unfortunately it is very hard to sex visually, because it is a pied.
i wouldnt even to hazard to guess, the only true way is surgically sexing, or it can be done with blood quill testing, i believe, havent had to go down that track.
a male will whistle/crow, but u need to know what u r listening for, once u know a male crow its very easy to pick out
below is a pic of a pr of normal birds, u can see the diff in face colour
Does anyone know how to tell the sex of a cockateil??? Prt00007922002121419581vo2
and below is another pic, u can see the diff in under tail markings that i was talking about, these are for normal,cinnamon,pearl,whiteface etc, this doesnt work for the pieds, lutino/albino
Does anyone know how to tell the sex of a cockateil??? Prt00007922001032620502pp7
croc
croc
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post by Beth<3 Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:26 am

i looks like a boy...... as we had a male just like that in a avery
Beth<3
Beth<3
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 886

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:52 am

Well poor Louie will have to stay a he/she lol! my daughter calls him a sheman haha. We love him anyway he is a good watch dog bird He calls out when the mobile phone rings to tell me its ringing also calls out when I get home he knows the difference between my car and my husbands... he doesnt have the same reaction for him haha
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:36 am

its ok to be a shemale or sheman or a shim

we should accept him.her for who it is lol hahaha
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:08 am

well at least I learned one thing..Louie is a pied!!!! Not just a cockateil lol
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:12 am

I have absolutely NO IDEA nor would I hazzard a guess but its a awfully pretty bird.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3782

Back to top Go down

Post by mumtwoboys Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:34 am

i'm pretty sure you have a boy there

mumtwoboys

Number of posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:04 pm

Welcome mum two boys great to have you here!!
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:28 am

Thanks mumtwoboys I hope he is a he , we have always called him a he.. just never know the truth haha
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:30 am

Razz he prob is a boy!!!

why change it it now any???
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:35 am

yeah well thats right we have always assumed he is a he but its always in the back of my mind that he might be a she...didnt want to give him a complex haha
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:38 am

he might get all depressed and stuff if he he found out he is realy a she!!
it can really mess ya up lol Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:42 am

He might be gay????? haha he does kiss himself in the mirror alot lol
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:45 am

hahaha lol Razz
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:09 am

No but a friend of mine cockatiel gives himself a little delight several times a day on his perch yep you got it.... he masturbates all day everyday one very happy bird....
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:11 am

oh minifoxies that would be funny to see
at least he isnt bored!!! Razz
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:13 am

He is not unhappy that is for sure!!
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum