dog forums 4 everyone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tips and ideas

4 posters

Go down

tips and ideas Empty tips and ideas

Post by Beth<3 Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:25 am

well gizzy and izzy are doing well...

however over the past day or two they have started to suckle(sp) my chin???? should i worry about this.. how do i curb the behaviour?

Also they have been having some difficulty eating their dry food to big to chew even if it is kitten size. So tonight i soaked the bickies in some kitten milk and water in the fridge and then crushed it up ... they loved it i was wondering if this was ok for them to eat between their wet food meals untill their teeth are more developed.

thanks for any advise guys
cat cat
Beth<3
Beth<3
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 886

Back to top Go down

tips and ideas Empty Re: tips and ideas

Post by sharreem Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:52 am

I dont know much about cats but with puppies they can have their dry food soaked with warm water or milk replacer so its more paletable for them. slowly add dry to the mix so they have different textures to chew on. then wean the softer mix of the bickies away .
hope this helps
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1215

Back to top Go down

Post by Beth<3 Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:10 am

thanks sharreem. he is sucking my chin as i write this
Beth<3
Beth<3
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 886

Back to top Go down

Post by sugclasco Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:33 am

its quiet commen ,i have known a few full grown cats that still do it ,sometimes when kittens are taken away from mum to early they pick up the habit of sucking on things.
i have rescued lots of kittens over the years and some would suckle on each other ,the worse one for it came in with her sister who had a hernia and was useing the hernia as a dummy so i had to seperate them ,but in your case i wouldnt worry to much ,they may grow out of but than again they may not .
i noticed in your other thread they are 5 weeks so that is way to young but i also noticed their eyes seem to be green in the pics ,is that just the photo ? are their eyes blue or green or mixed?
it gives you a rough idea of age as around 8 weeks old their eyes would be almost completely gone of blue.
sugclasco
sugclasco

Number of posts : 100

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:11 am

The way your feeding them should be fine... my sisters cat who is now 12 years of age still suckles on your ear lobes if you let him. He has done it his entire life. I guess it does come from coming off mum way too soon. He was about the same age when we got him as a kitten. 
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3782

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down