dog forums 4 everyone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

zander is back in action but worse :(

+2
sharreem
Admin
6 posters

Go down

zander is back in action but worse :( Empty zander is back in action but worse :(

Post by Admin Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:55 pm

well zander was going great for months until a few days ago!
he didnt get out of the yard at all and i dont no why he started doing it again
but a school girl was walking past the other day and he jumped the fence and charged at her! affraid
i herd barking/snarling as well then a scream!
he didnt bite her or anything but im extremely worried!
also about 5 minutes ago i herd yelling and again when i walked out side zander was out the yard again! Sad

its really upsetting knowing my dog is terrarising the neighbourhood!
i have them both inside of a night to insure that he doesnt get out!
and ive had enough so im going to buy the stuff so i can chain him up! Crying or Very sad
i dont want to chain him up but i think it is the safest thing i can do for all involved
i cant have him in sied 24/7 because he is so huge and my house is tiny!
i would love to get him desexed but eing a month from xmas we just cant afford right now! plus the $1000 fine for zander is due on the 20th of december or my bf loses his liscense (he drives for a living)
i really love this dog but he is up and down like a yo yo
and its driving me nuts!
i dont wont anyone getting hert by zander or zander getting pts coz he does hert someone! Sad
im hoping in january to get him desexed and if that dont work i will try and move to a property and if that dont solve the problem well...................................any ideas after that???
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1292

Back to top Go down

zander is back in action but worse :( Empty Re: zander is back in action but worse :(

Post by sharreem Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:17 am

sounds like kids have been tormenting him and thats why he is now jumping out. are u eligable for Kev day (8th dec gov payment)? Maybe use som of this money to deses him. it will calm him down alot
poor boy
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1215

Back to top Go down

zander is back in action but worse :( Empty Re: zander is back in action but worse :(

Post by Beth<3 Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:01 am

oh no.................. Neutral I love Zander he is sooo cute he he. I think it is a good idea to get him on a chain as long as it is long enough for him to move around and get out of the eliments.

I hope you pull the money together soon desexing is really you best option.
Beth<3
Beth<3
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 886

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:34 am

YES IM GOING TO MAKE PHONE CALLS TO HUNTER ANIMAL LEAGUE OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT BECAUSE I NO THEY HELP WITH DESEXING!
IM ALWAYS WORRIED IF THE CHAIN ISNT LONG ENOUGH AND I HATE CHAINING HIM UP BUT I ALSO DONT WANT HIM TO BITE SOMEONE
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1292

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:42 pm

Can you afford to build him a dog run with a roof over it I know your renting where you are but can you get permission to erect a dog run. Your going to have to do something before your reported and zander is marked as a dangerous dog. Try obedience lessons at the local clubs, buy him some new toys, he sounds like he needs excercise, and mental stimulation this is where obedience and so forth comes into it. You will have to react soon or the council will be on you and make life hell.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3782

Back to top Go down

Post by dogsshouldbedogs Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:54 am

Yes i would have to agree with Minifoxie. You can get great dog runs, that are around $500, however you did say you were short on money.

You really need to see exactly what is causing him to jump, is it just children? or any one or thing that walks passed? Do you take him on long and regular walks? maybe if not he is fearful of the unknown? the more you get me out and about and walking around the neighourhood the better he will be.

Maybe put up lattice on top of the fence to make it taller?

dogsshouldbedogs

Number of posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:33 am

Admin, how tall are your fences and what type? Have you witnessed him actually get over- does he climb or just leap over them?

The chain is a good temporary solution but start planning for a longer term solution or it will just drag on and become the bain of your existance....I know this from personal experience. But at the end of the day it is our responsibility to make sure our dogs are contained....If my dog got out and got hit by a car or bit someone I know the responsibility falls clearly on my shoulders if I had not taken the steps to find a workable solution ASAP.

Moving to a property is not necessarily the answer as he will still need to be contained and not allowed to wander otherwise he could worry somebodys stock and end up either shot by a farmer or more problems and fines for yourself.

Fence jumping is such a self rewarding behaviour that the more chances he gets to escape the more it is reinforced and hence the more ingrained it becomes so he needs to never be given any oportunities to get out at all. I understand that it is easy to be lulled into a false sense of confidence about him not escaping but the fact is without some kind of fence modifications or other containment options he will continue to do it.

Here are some ideas.....
-Run wire through agi pipe attatched to the uprights using small legnths of timber at a 45 degree angle. When he puts his front paws on it to get over the fence the agi pipe will roll and he should loose his grip.
-A hotwire. Ask at a farming supply place about what you need and how to set up.
-An electronic containment system with collar.
-A physical barrier on the fence either inverted or plain old fence extentions which are approx $25 for a 3m legnth, 60cm high. They are made to just slot on to a paling fence.
-A dog run. I have seen quite a few for sale on ebay although they are probably one of the more expensive options.
All these options can be removed and should not pose a problem in a rental. Maybe have a chat to your land lord about it.

I know how hard it is when finances arnt so good but you need to work out your plan of action, how much it will cost and then work towards it. You need to be proactive.

Good luck with it all. Smile

Al

Number of posts : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:40 pm

Excellent post!! 
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3782

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down