dog forums 4 everyone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tests for older dogs

+3
Beth<3
Mali
Yacket's Mum
7 posters

Go down

Tests for older dogs Empty Tests for older dogs

Post by Yacket's Mum Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:56 pm

I had to go to the vet yesterday with Biscuit he has congunctivites! so I also took Checke for a drive so she was not home alone. The vet asked if she was ok and I said she is doing some strange things like howling on her bed like someone had died and this is from a dog who you never hear from. The vet looked up to see when she is due for her next vac and that is end Feb so asked me to make and appointment for a long consult so she can test her as she is now heading to being an old dog (she is just about Cool the vet was saying when they have a race career they are prone to problems about now and whats to have a look at her kidneys and liver and do checks for cancer and artherisis! she has had a broken toe at one stage and she limps every now and then. She has also lost 3kgs since last year and I am getting alittle worried about her.

Checke is my husbands frist dog and he loves her to peices and I am not sure how he will cope if she has any problems.

Anybody had these tests done on there dogs?
Yacket's Mum
Yacket's Mum

Number of posts : 479

Back to top Go down

Tests for older dogs Empty Re: Tests for older dogs

Post by Mali Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:15 pm

No I am sure it is all routine I would not stress too much until it is all done. I just think your vet wants to make sure Checke is around for along time yet. Preventative medicine is better than cure! Don't worry too much.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3782

Back to top Go down

Post by Yacket's Mum Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:44 pm

That what I am hoping.
Yacket's Mum
Yacket's Mum

Back to top Go down

Post by Beth<3 Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:09 am

try not to worry until there is something to worry about you'll do your head in..

As they get older things do wear down i am sure the vet is just being carefull.
It is better to get anything under control early!
Beth<3
Beth<3
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 886

Back to top Go down

Post by Yacket's Mum Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:44 am

Yes I agree if she is in need of some medication it is best now before she is in to much pain ect. I am happy to do that what ever is needed for her. It is just hard I know how attatched hubby is to her and she is not the same dog as she was 4 years ago and I know alot has to do with her age ect but it still dosen't make it any easier. I will book her in earlier if I see to much more of a change but as it is now she will go at the end of feb for the tests. I am sure it is just her slowing down and getting old like all of us and we visit the doc if we need to so no different for our fur kids.
Yacket's Mum
Yacket's Mum

Back to top Go down

Post by herbiedog Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:26 am

Our vets here offer routine checks for older dogs..so try not to worry too much...
herbiedog
herbiedog
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1832

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:38 am

we can take our dog to an old dog clinic every 6 months for free, they write down any changes and an problems so they can tell you weather or not to make a consultation with the vet or not
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1215

Back to top Go down

Post by lorie Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:29 am

Really?? That is awesome, I wish we had something like that here..
lorie
lorie
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1228

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:20 am

Yeah me to... would be great. Don't look for things that are not there your mind is playing games on you... she is and will be fine I am sure. She looked pretty good on the couch with the kitten to me.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yacket's Mum Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:59 am

Ok I took Checke and Biscuit to the chiropractor today and had a chat to him about Checke and the kidney and liver tests the vet wants to do and he said that I would be wasting my money because she is in perfect health she has a nice shine to her coat and she is soft to touch her hair is not brittle (which would be different if she had liver or kidney problems) and even thought she has lost a little weight she still has a nice cover. She did how ever have her hips out by about an inch and her neck was out so that might account for her losing some weight. Biscuit as usual has his back out and his front shoulder which he must of run into something again!!!!!! Heat pack and linoment and he will be fine.
Yacket's Mum
Yacket's Mum

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:43 am

love those chiros... havent used them for the dog but always used them for my horses
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1215

Back to top Go down

Post by Yacket's Mum Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:20 am

Yes he is fantastic. I am not sure if you will know him but he has people fly there dogs down from carins ect just to see him. His name is Robert Humperies and I am lucky enough to have him 15mins away from me. It is hard to get an appointment so I always make one each month just incase...hehehehe
Yacket's Mum
Yacket's Mum

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:48 am

Thats great!! My vet is a greyhound vet so he tries all that manipulation treatment etc before drugs and expense their blood is worth bottling.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lorie Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:53 am

Glad to hear Checke is OK!
lorie
lorie
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1228

Back to top Go down

Post by Yacket's Mum Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:47 pm

Thanks guys. I did feel much better after talking to him and I really respect and trust him.
Yacket's Mum
Yacket's Mum

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:10 pm

That is the main thing and it sounds like she is going to be fine.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by petlovers Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:52 pm

Do the humane thing and put her to sleep. I know it's very difficult to do, but her quality of life at this point isn't close to what you KNOW it should be. Don't be selfish. Do the right thing. I am sorry for your loss.

petlovers

Number of posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by herbiedog Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:04 am

Oh wow ..that is a bit harsh...

If my dog was clearly happy and pain controlled not sure if the first thing I would do is have him PTS if he was clearly distressed and pain unable to be controlled then that is a different thing all together
herbiedog
herbiedog
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1832

Back to top Go down

Post by lorie Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:26 pm

I agree Liz.
lorie
lorie
Chataholic