dog forums 4 everyone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Use of collars

+4
Beth<3
Mali
sharreem
Admin
8 posters

Go down

Use of collars Empty Use of collars

Post by jaz_i Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:18 pm

Hi all,

New to the fourm, but not to dogs!

I wanted to share my opinions of training methods.

A lot of people are still very quick to recomend the use of choker chains, although they cause neck problems, and also behaviour problems, with the object that it is being pulled away from.

I don't use collars very often at all, for large dogs that pull I use a Halti or Gentle leader.
For small dogs I use harnesses.

For dogs that don't pull I use a leather lined colar.

Just wondering what other peoples opinions are...?

Jaz

jaz_i

Back to top Go down

Use of collars Empty Re: Use of collars

Post by Admin Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:24 pm

ive always hated collars!!
i hate when a dog pulls it seems its being chocked!!
harness i always saw them as easy to get out of!!
when we are at home i take everything off my dogs! i let them be "all natural"

i currently use a leather collar on zander when we walk him and a harness on chloe as she pulls and likes to be in front of zander all the time!! with a collar on chloe chockes her self to the point were she cant breath!
so now i just use a harness!
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1292

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:30 am

Hi Jazz
I use a Halti on my lab. Even though she is a level 2 obedience trained dog she is still naughty away from training. At training she is off lead with only hand signals. even from across the paddock. Yes she gets a bit cheeky sometimes but most times she is a good girl.
Out in public its a different story. Too many smells for her and too many distractions. I find the halti is great (although she HATES it) She grunts when she wants her own way haha.
My old girl I just use a webbing type material collar. She just stays with us anyway and doesnt need anything on but the law says she must be on a lead.
A great way to start a dog on a halti is to attach the lead to the halti and the collar/choker as new dogs to them will try to get them off at first. saves them getting it off and having nothing on your dog!
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1215

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:27 am

On my little dogs I use harnesses, but on my last big german shepherd I used a pinch collar on him. Which by the way are far more humane than a choker chain. I will use halti's but I stress these are ONLY a training aid NOT a problem solver.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3782

Back to top Go down

Post by Beth<3 Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:52 am

Hello

I have 5 dogs, yes 5. What a Face
I use a check chain on the big bullmastiff and basset hound and I wouldn't use anything else.
My dogs used to pull the lead even with the chain but I watched a show on Pay TV called "the dog whisperer" here’s a link to the site;
http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/
I found that once I changed my energy around the dogs, and had the chain sitting in the correct position the dogs fell into line and understood I am leader.
I use the chains not to chock, but to "snap" when they attempt to over power me.
I have always been told that theses chain when used correctly don’t chock but make a snap noise that changes the dogs attention back to you.

I never found myself able to control the larger dogs when I used a harness as it is placed on the strongest point of the dogs body. Hence they pull me over.
But that is just my opinion.
Beth<3
Beth<3
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 886

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:54 am

great post!!
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Use of collars Empty reply

Post by jaz_i Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:21 am

Thanks for all the responeses.

The Halti's can be problem solvers when aided with voice commands and treats!

jaz_i

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:53 am

i always use voice commands with my dogs!!
i talk to them like i talk to people and they understand!!!!!
zander gets confused with sit as he thinks it means jump
he is slowly geting better and doesnt jump as much
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Use of collars Empty collars

Post by i_love_staffys Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:38 pm

I use a leather collar on mi male staffy, and it looks liek it chock him alot, but a harness just dosnt work.. i dont use a chocker chain as it hurts him.... is there anything i can do to make a walk more comfortable for him and miself

i_love_staffys

Number of posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Beth<3 Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:41 am

I_love_staffys

Try using my link.
http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/
Ceaser says that it is the energy that you use when you walk the dog that causes it to pull and try to walk you rater than you walk it it .

Also do you have the collar in the correct position it sould be at the very top of the neck as this is the weekest point. Basicslly it should look like the leads do in a show ring.

When walking the dog stay calm and assertive.

Like i said take a look at the dog whisperer it isn't just a load of belloni(sp*) like people think i use the techquines and they do work.

If it wasn't for the show i would never have been able to walk all 5 of our dogs at once.
Beth<3
Beth<3
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 886

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:18 pm

I agree with Beth re choker chain. When my girl was learning I had the choker on her in correct position and used the snap method. Just out in public she is better with a halti. she insists on leaning on the choker in public insyead of letting me and her enjoy our walk. with the halti she lets us have a relaxed walk with a loose lead. :puppy97:
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1215

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:01 pm

I use a martingale collar with my guys and a flat collar. They walk on a loose lead anyway but I like the martingale. Regardless of the tool; check chains halties, flat collars etc I beleive it is down to whether it is used correctly. They all have potential to do harm if not used in the correct manner.

Al

Number of posts : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by jaz_i Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:48 pm

Hi,

You could try a halti. They work well on larger, stronger dogs!

There are SO, many harnesses out their and so many collars!

Each one has a different usage, I stand by my beliefs and have found that they have never failed me when I have been working with numerous breeds, sizes and problems!

jaz_i

Number of posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:04 am

Well I personally believe dogs shouldn't have collars on them at all times. So at home my girl never has a collar on - collar means "walk" "swim" "listening ears switched on - cause we are leaving the confides of HOME".
I'm also fortunate that our beach allows dogs off the leash during designated times, as well as a new waterfront area which is still under constuction that not many take their dogs to. Which is fantastic as she gets to run as much as wants and returns on a whistle while I get to leisurely stroll and call her back. Not that she wanders to far in front. If by some chance there is another dog or human she now knows that she must go back on the lead till we pass them or they pass us. As a cattle dog she likes to round things up. Be it humans, dogs, birds, kites among other things. 🐕
Personally though I prefer and I know that she does as well, we go where we won't have other contact. She is then free to have a great adventure outside her yard.
I have never used a harness on any of my dogs, cats on the other hand I have. My balinese (who is now in heaven) loved this so much we would go lots of places, down the road,
up the road, around the block :-) My cat these days is nothng like that, he would rather injure himself than have anything on him at all. cat Just ask his vet who's named him "The Great Houdini" Very Happy
Phoenix
Phoenix

Number of posts : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down