dog forums 4 everyone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

can anyone suggest a very strong collar that wont break???

+2
Mali
Admin
6 posters

Go down

can anyone suggest a very strong collar that wont break??? Empty can anyone suggest a very strong collar that wont break???

Post by Admin Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:04 am

i have been looking around for a very strong dog collar!!
zander ( my rottweiler) has broken choker chains,heavy duty collars & normal collars
due to him having to be chained up when im not home or in bed,i am looking for something that will hold him!
if anyone has any suggestions that would be great!!
p.s i want something that is comfortable as most nights he will be on the chain from 12 am to maybe 8-9 am!! affraid
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1292

Back to top Go down

can anyone suggest a very strong collar that wont break??? Empty Re: can anyone suggest a very strong collar that wont break???

Post by Mali Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:27 pm

Can I ask why he has to be chained up when your not home and in bed? Also have you thought of other alternatives such as a dog run etc? K9 training offer great collars etc, your local obedience club might be able to help and I know that if you search on dogzonline that there have been several threads about strong dog collars. You need to just look up some links I will do a hunt around today and see what I can find for you and post the links.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3782

Back to top Go down

can anyone suggest a very strong collar that wont break??? Empty Re: can anyone suggest a very strong collar that wont break???

Post by Admin Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:46 pm

we have been looking for a dog run but it has to be easy to remove and not bulky extra as we are renting!!
and because the house is also for sale we need to get permission off the owner and realestate!
so atm he has to be chained up,and the reson for that is because he is a very determinded dog that likes to make the hole street his playground!
we have a 7 foot fence seperating the front and back yards but he finds his way out,so we have to chain him so he doesnt get out and get ran over,picked up by the ranger etc
being such a large dog people would call the ranger as soon as they sore him out (which they have done already)
i hate chaining him up,but untill i find a sutible salution what else can i do? Sad
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

can anyone suggest a very strong collar that wont break??? Empty have you tried this???

Post by sharreem Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:09 pm

http://www.innotek.com.au/products/containment-systems
These are fantasic devices.
We have a remote collar that we have used on our dogs so I would say this will work in the same way.
Our remote collar we only had to use a few times and now the dogs dont go past our driveway. They stop at the line on it because this is where we taught them was far enough to go. our dogs dont need the collar anymore because they know their boundries.
Now some people may say that these collars are cruel or inhumane? we I challenge them to this .It is better to have a dog that stays home rather than a dog that is squished on the road.
I have put the collar on myself and used it. It feels like a rubber band flick. The only time the charge will go off is when the dog crosses the boundry. They learn very quickly.
See if your local dog trainer has one to hire first as they are very expensive 9but worth the investment.)
Your dog will not need to be tied up ever again.
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1215

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:17 pm

THANKS (CAPS LOCK STUCK ON LOL
I HONESTLY HATE CHAINING HIM UP!BUT I DONT WANT HIM TO GET RUN OVER OR ANYTHING,
DONT WORRY I NO SOME PEOPLE DISSAGREE WITH CHAINING A DOG SO NO HOW YOU FEEL!
I HARDLY GO OUT ANYWAYS DUE TO THE FACT IS HE HAS TO BE CHAINED UP,AND I try to make it as less time on the chain as possible!!
really its so i no he is home and safe,because if i was a person walking on the street and i saw zander walking on his own i would proberbly be tempted to take him home!!
and if someone was to do that i would proberbly never get him back.. ;(

p.s i have also placed him side my house when i went out but he blew the chances of that happening again,he went threw the window ( it was open)but he torn my curtain,and ripped the screen apart to get out side!!
its only trail and error at this stage and once a week i go out for an hour leave him off the chain,to see if he stays in the yard and if he does then he doesnt get put on again untill i here him trying to get out etc
flower
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:31 pm

I totally agree with you there and your doing the right thing for the dog not to be hurt. Thats great. I will get onto the links today sometime. My flatmate is coming home today and I want to spend a little bit of time with her today and stuff. As for renting I understand that you need to get permission from agents and landlords and stuff. That is a pain in the bum. You are also right in stating that if he gets out there will be trouble as he is a rottie regardless of how gentle he is. Because of breed specific legislation its breed before deed.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3782

Back to top Go down

Post by AmstaffLover Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:33 am

Whenever i tie up my dog or take him for walks, i use a harness (Car Harness think they are called). this is better than a collar and is much for comfortable for the dog. U can attach a lead/run to it so u can tie them up.
To be honest these are the best things for a strong dog, especially Rottweilers

Hope this helps

AmstaffLover

Number of posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:23 pm

thanks for that!
we havent tried a harness to be honest,because we always thought they are easy to slip out of!
might give it a go ...... we can only try Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

can anyone suggest a very strong collar that wont break??? Empty Harness

Post by jaz_i Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:09 pm

Hi,

I would suggest that you give him a VERY long walk if he is going to be tied up for that amount of time. It is also important that you give him toys and bones to play with when he is out alone.

I understand that it is hard with a dog that wonders.

As for what to tie him up with, a harness is an absolutley fantastic idea. They are a positive way of training a dog to not pull.

As for collers and choker chains, they do ALOT of damage to a dogs neck so avoid using them AT ALL!

As for when you are walking him, get a gentle leader or Halti, it will stop him from pulling, but be careful not to tie him on it as he could do some damage!

Good luck

Jaz

jaz_i

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:17 pm

thanks jaz_i,

we all ways make sure he has toys etc and things to do when he is tied up!
and he gets a long walk everyday!
not only because he is tied up sometimes but because he is a very large dog that has a lot of energy!
we take him to a football feild which is a good walk from here and then they get a free run!! my other half bults across the field and they follow!
i will take pics today when we take them!!
last night was excerlent!! i didnt tie zander up and he didnt get out!!
which is great!
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AmstaffLover Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:23 pm

With the harness u can tighten or loosen it for the size of the dog(also u can get S, M or L in sizes). My pup is a American Staffy and is only small atm, but will grow very quick, so instead of buying a new collar, the harness is quite effective with strong, "butch" dogs.

AmstaffLover

Number of posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by jaz_i Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:24 am

Yeah the harness' are great size wise. But there are also so many types, there is even one for teathering a dog up!

Great to hear that you walk and give him toys and bones!

jaz_i

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:48 am

with such a power full i need to keep him happy!!!
if i just left him out there he would go bad and he is a member of our family and always has enough to stimulate him! Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:48 pm

I agree that a containment system would be a good bet and it is portable so you can just take it with you if you move.

Al

Number of posts : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:01 pm

THANKS AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ali Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:13 pm

so did anyone come up with a strong collar? as i am in need of the same thing but not for the same reason.
i have 2 staffies one male 1.5yrs and a 6month old female pup and my issue is that my girl likes to distroy my boys collars. i think she does it jst in play but she also has this really bad habit of when he is running for example chasing the bball or down at the dog park she grabs hold of his collar and drags him around-mind u he is 20kg and she is 12kg!! if i take the collar off she jst goes for the skin.,,,,,,she is not being nasty she is jst playing but i dont think he knows how to take it....
ali
ali

Number of posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:28 pm

chloe does the same thing
except sshe is about 12 kilos and zander about 70 lol
its a domance thing!
them little staffy bitches have to be the top dog Very Happy
i cant give you advise on how to stop her from chewing them but maybe just try and snap her out of it
chase her away from him if u have to lol
good luck i no staffys can be a hard dog to crack

Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down