dog forums 4 everyone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

toilet training puppies

+3
i_love_staffys
Admin
sharreem
7 posters

Go down

toilet training puppies Empty toilet training puppies

Post by sharreem Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:57 pm

I had all my litter toilet trained to either newspaper or grass by 4 weeks. The new owners of these puppies were so greatful that the hard work was done for them. The mother dog will only clean up the pups until they start eating solids. As soon as pups start on solids when they have finished eating pup them straight on newspaper or grass. i have even heard of people using kittylitter for smaller breeds but our babies were too big for this!
A well trained pup reflects on how the breeder helps them to learn. If you have puppies please spend the time with them. It will help them settle into their new environment easier when they are homed. Our pups had their nails trimmed every week from 2 weeks old and ears and mouths handled since birth. This helps when you take them for vet checks. Cool
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1215

Back to top Go down

toilet training puppies Empty Re: toilet training puppies

Post by Admin Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:03 pm

may i kindly ask are you a registered breeder? scratch
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1292

Back to top Go down

toilet training puppies Empty toilet training puppies

Post by i_love_staffys Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:22 pm

thats seems like a great idea.. i had my staffy puppy inside for a while but she chewed all the sterio cords lol! .... do you know of a certain way to make a puppy always poo or wee in the same spot so it easier to clean?

i_love_staffys

Number of posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:08 am

No I am not but bitch and dog are papered. First litter at 3 years and will only have one more litter next year 12 months later. I am not a puppy farmer I respect my girl. Her pups were sold as pets only and most went to friends or family. One has gone to assistance dogs and two went to tassie together. :!:
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:13 am

no i wouldnt never sugject anyone was a puppy farmer!
i just wanted to no so i no who is who and what does what etc
i dont judge people if they aint a reg breeder!because if i did judge everyone that way then were would i be!
i honeslt dont see the big deal about papers(i no it proves what they are etc but a dog is a dog with or with out papers Surprised
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:28 am

Papers are good to check if the dog or bitch has the same lines but i cant see why you would need them for anything else.
Its a shame that alot of registered breeders keep breeding their girls every season then sell them as a pet when they are done with them . My pets are for life and i told all the people that have my puppies that pups had a guarantee for the first week that if they changed their minds I would buy the pup back off them. I have bought rescue dogs in the past before I got my old girl ebony 13 years ago. having children now myself I cant risk my kids with the mental scars some of these dogs have so I bought a pure bred dog from a registered breeder. The conditions these pups lived in were sad.. I wish I could have afforded to buy the whole litter. This made me wait until my girl was mature enough to breed with a raise her babies in a healthy happy calm atmosphere with no cages and free access to indoors and outdoors.
Everyone who bought one of my babies have kept in contact with me and are in constant contact with regular photos and even visits. We are acually babysitting one of the pups now for the school holidays.
Sorry if I sounded snappy But I hate the word registered breeder sometimes... yes there are good ones around but not all of them Embarassed
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:34 am

i was gonna say the same thing!there is some very good breeders out there but most are living their lives as breeders!
breeding dogs shouldnt be an occupation,and shouldnt happen just to make money..
i really dissagree with what some breeders do...yer they say they are trying to better the breed but how are they bettering it if they sell there pups as pets only?or they make all buyers desex their pups!
some are just obsested with it and are way out of hand!!
i have had contact from a fee breeders abusing me etc for different reason but my point is why the hell do they think they no better,and they are king shit??
honestly some breeders drive me crazy Suspect Mad
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

toilet training puppies Empty toileting in the one spot

Post by sharreem Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:37 am

Try to get your baby to use newspaper inside and reward he/she each time they use it. Only take the top layers of paper away...leave one with a small amount of urine stain so that the dogs scent is there. Use the comand go toilet or do a wee ect each time. Your pup will learn this phrase and when you want it to go to the toilet even outside it will learn to do it on comand. Our dogs only use one spot in the yard for toileting because they are so used to me taking them their when they were little.
The pup I am babysitting at the moment even remembers where I used to take her to toilet when she was a baby. she is now about 4 months old and went straight to the spot she was shown three months ago...clever girl!!!
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:38 am

lol i was just gonna say maybe we should get back to topic and move the breeder chat to EVERYTHING ELSE lol!
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:42 am

lol! good idea... i thought I had better answer the qustion on puppy toileting though lol!
flower have a great afternoon...I am its my bithday today yippee!!! Razz
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:40 pm

I will never use newspaper again, with toilet training and I have had to retrain my little mali its consistancy. If you cannot keep an eye on your dog in the house at all times then go and buy either a diaper for a female or a belly band for a male. Toilet training is just repetition, after food, after sleep and I generally toilet mali every half hour to forty five minutes until he gets the hang of it. But it is all about consistancy and praise like mad when they go outside. Good luck.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3782

Back to top Go down

Post by samaria Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:07 am

Your new pup has arrived and the household is all excited. It is
important before the pup arrives to establish the ground rules with the
family. Obviously house rules and manners for the pup need to be defined
i.e. Is the pup allowed in the house, if so which rooms, who will feed and
oversee training etc. You must have uniform rules so that consistency is
maintained and the pup does not become confused. After the pup has the
general rules in its mind you can start with the basic retrieving
training.
some tips to train;-

1. Don't look on potty training puppies as the unpleasant or messy
    side of owning a puppy. Rather see it as the first stage of a bonding
    process. One that will result in a happy and healthy relationship. That
    is the real reward of house training a dog.
  2. Start potty training as soon as you get your puppy home. But
    remember they don't yet have full control of their bladder and bowel
    functions. Smile

samaria

Number of posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:31 pm

Great advice Samaria
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:40 pm

Hey samaria how about going to the introduction post and tells us about yourself... we are all lovely dog and pet lovers and we also love photos!!!!!
Welcome to a new member!!
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:58 pm

toilet training puppies 7768
big welcome to you and all our new members Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Timbernee Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:49 am

1. getting the dog out every hour to 2 hours to potty
2. not praising Crate Training A Puppy and rewarding the dog when it potties outside
3. leaving it alone too long or unsupervised so you cannot catch the dog before it potties
4. Allowing too much freedom
5. Training them to use potty pads - which train them that it's ok to potty in the house.

Last edited by Timbernee on Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Timbernee

Number of posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by herbiedog Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:55 am

That brings back memories...

When we first got Herbie I put him out side every hour at first during the day and then every 2 hours even at night ..we only have ever had one accident inside the house..I was tired but it was we worth all the effort put into the training..

He is hardly ever left for longer than 3 hours at a time
herbiedog
herbiedog
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1832

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:31 pm

I will never use training pads for dogs I want my dogs to outside not in the house. Regardless if they have pads or not.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3782

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down