dog forums 4 everyone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crazy hound

5 posters

Go down

Crazy hound Empty Crazy hound

Post by Beth<3 Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:04 am

troubles .. Crazy hound 140450

ok most of the time all of my dogs are well behaved and do as they are told. However ZENA the basset hound is only getting worse as she gets older..

We understand that the basset is a stubborn breed and needs to sniff everything ..

but she just wont calm down..

She is walked for at least 45min everyday and 4 time a week goes to the dog park to have a good sniff around..

on the lead she is the best most well behaved dog in the world but off she is a looney.. I have tried everything From strict training rules to the dog whisperer but she is just getting worse..

when you say "NO!!" she thinks it is a game and runs round the yard, she opens the door to get inside all the time.. "she is allowed in but on our terms not hers". she wont come when i call her.. she just runs away and barks at you ??? Crazy hound 140450

she is jsut being down right naughty..

any help or advise will be happyily recived

thanks in advance
Beth<3
Beth<3
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 886

Back to top Go down

Crazy hound Empty Re: Crazy hound

Post by Admin Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:09 am

oh good times hey

zander use to do the same open the door i dont no why he stopped tho hmmmm he must be sick lol
zander thinks NO or DOWN means CUDDLES OR JUMP most of the time
i really cant give you any ideas or advise but im uplate fiddling with our forum and felt like chatting lol Crazy hound 7768
GOOD LUCK
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1292

Back to top Go down

Post by Beth<3 Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:13 am

Ha HA yeh she is going to be a tough cookie to fix.... yeh i have seen the chages they are loking good Smile
Beth<3
Beth<3
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:16 am

trying to make it a better place for everyone Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:36 pm

What does cesar say excercise discipline and affection. When your walking her is she in front or behind? You know the more I listen to him the more sense he makes. There are things that I have to work on with my own two dogs. Which will be starting today. When you go to the dog park to you excercise her prior to going with that I mean a decent long walk prior? As if you dont she has all the energy and she will show that at the dog park by doing exactly what your saying. Take her for a walk prior, Cesar was talking about this last night. He was so right, as dog owners we are lazy we take them to the park to tire them out but their energy levels are so high they give off all the wrong body language. Also if they are tired they are more relaxed and in a more submissive state. As for opening the doors if they are handles and not knobs how about instead of pushing down to open you have to push up. Dogs are smart. I would put her on a leash and she would learn to come when I called, do it quietly. Do what cesar does and bite her with your hand she has to know you are boss. Walk like your king of the world and like he says dont call their names and talk away it makes no difference to them. I hope this helps and I hope she improves distract her when she is being naughty and hopefully she will stop the behaviour. But like cesar says you have to be dominant person when you have that you will have a good dog. This includes going through doors and when walking your dog having them walk behind as the pack leader always walks in front. The other thing to do is to go to a good dog trainer or behaviorist. Good luck.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3782

Back to top Go down

Post by Beth<3 Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:22 pm

yes i walk her before we go to the dog park and she always walks behind me as she is to low to the ground and powerfull.She is never out of th door or gate before i have seen the diference in her behaviour..

I have tried the bite thing use it on all the dogs but to her it is a game.. as i say on the lead she does no wrong off she is crazy.. i would like to find out why? She is treated the same and i have the same expectations... but i will more than likely take her to training lessons or some thing.......

i am hoping that she settles down soon . :puppy97:
Beth<3
Beth<3
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by lorie Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:03 am

Crazy hound 03_28_10
You need a good trainer to get that hound under control, Mingo did a good job with Stanley. Would you like to borrow her?

lol!
lorie
lorie
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1228

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:06 am

lol look at that pink dog lol hahhahaha
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beth<3 Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:33 am

A fellow hound owner i see.. Very Happy we love her to bits but she is just such a hand full.. we found a local "Feild trial" ground it is filled with dams open running pens for dogs that like to sniff.

I was wondering if a place like this and some training for Sent tracking would help.. she is a hound so it is natural right. Hopeing this will channel her intelegents.. i can see it there none of the other dogs can open our door. Shocked

i love th pic BTW.. it is funny to see the little pink poodle over running the basset Crazy hound 745988
Beth<3
Beth<3
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by lorie Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:43 am

Stanley was our neighbor, and Mingo's first boyfriend. She was about 6 mos old here. Sadly, Stanley has passed. He was a sweet (but stinky) good boy.. Sad

I wish you luch with your stubborn girl.. Smile
lorie
lorie
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1228

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:48 am

Hey Beth3,
I Lurrve Basset Hounds.

You know your own situation better than anyone but here are a few ideas that you may or may not want to try.

If you are not already going, have you thought about joining a local obedience club?

A couple of ideas for the door opening but you need to get the timing perfect just as she is opening the door. Either shake a scatter can (something like a milo tin with coins or rocks in it) but don't let her actually see you shake it other wise she may relate the scary noise to you rather than the action of opening the door or you could try a quick couple of squirts from a water pistol.

When she begins to play up in the back yard with a game of chase, I would imediately turn your back, ignore her and go inside.

You could do short training sessions in the back yard with on her on lead at first ( i know you said she is good on lead anyway but a great way to approach any problems your dog is having is to go back to basics) when your other dogs arnt around so that she has no distractions and practise her recall. A good excercise to practise this is to wander around the yard for a short time with Zena on a loose lead then call her to you as you take some backwards steps (using a recall command like 'come') and pick up the slack of her lead as she comes to you. As soon as she is right in front of you praise and reward her with her absolute favorite (tasty and smelly) treat. Once she is doing this 100% (you may have already trained this on lead anyway so I apologise if I am stating the obvious) get her to sit very close in front as soon as she comes to you. Once this is 100% consistant try it in a small contained area off lead, again with no distractions. If she is having trouble go back to the begining of on lead training again and progress back up to off lead again. Once 100% in a small area off lead try it in a larger area off lead (with no distractions like other dogs) and once she is 100% go right back to the beginning (on lead) and start to introduce some distractions. Try to keep the VERY special treat for training only and initially praise and give the food reward every time then once her recall is becoming second nature to her under distraction, begin to give the food rewards more sporadically.

Whilst teaching and proofing her in the recall try not to give in to the temptation to use the 'come' comand in situations that are too far beyond where she is at in her recall training as this will only set her back if she gets away with not coming to you. Also never reprimand a dog for not coming to you when called as they will begin to associate being called to you with being punished and never walk towards a dog that is playing the 'ner ner ner, I'm not coming to you, you have to chase me' game otherwise you are falling for their evil little plan. Laughing

I would personally not go to the dog park for a few weeks whilst you are training her recall and when you start to take her back once her recall is good I would go at the quieter times initially if you can and practise the recall then build it up to the busier times and treat every time initially until her recall is reliable.

Sorry for my ridiculously long winded post and bad spelling.

I am sure you know better than anyone that Bassets can be a stubborn breed to train. What could be more wonderful than being a scent hound and following all those gloriously interesting smells? heehee.

Al

Number of posts : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Beth<3 Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:58 pm

He he i'll give your tips a go i never thought of th rattle trick... I'll work with her for a bit and if i can not fix it we have a very good training centre called"the Jacson centre". if i cannot handle her with my own training ill pay the price of a proffesional.

Yeh she is stubborn but smart.. she loves to sniff once she comes when she is called i plan to take her for some sent trial training.

thanks Al dont worry about the spelling is isn't my strong point either.
Beth<3
Beth<3
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down