dog forums 4 everyone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raw Feeding

+2
LittleMiss
Mali
6 posters

Go down

Raw Feeding Empty Raw Feeding

Post by Mali Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:06 am

Just wondering what others feed in their raw diets mine eat chicken frames, necks, offal such as hearts livers kidneys. I also cook them an egg every couple of days and mash it shell and all. Currently I am also feeding Eagle Pack Holistic Select the Duck and oatmeal variety and my little ones are going great on this diet. Oh and I also add tinned fish such as salmon and sardines particularly in oil for the sardines. Hope to hear what others feed their dogs.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3782

Back to top Go down

Raw Feeding Empty What my guys eat...

Post by LittleMiss Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:07 am

Hi, my dogs have a constant supply of natural dry dog food available, as well as having a meal of home-cooked food each evening. The food I cook for them is rice with sometimes chicken mince, sometimes beef mince. In it is also frozen veggies (or sometimes tins of pureed veggies) and usually some fresh crushed garlic. Now and then I add a squirt of vitamin supplement to their food.

They constantly snack on raw chicken necks (love them!) and beef bone offcuts. They also really love those dried pigs ears, as a special treat.

Thats about it. I try to keep their diet as natural as possible. flower My guys have some special dietry needs due to being hairless, I need to promote healthy skin as much as possible.

I haven't tried the hearts, livers and kidneys as I have heard that some dogs can find them too rich. I also haven't tried the tinned fish, but maybe will give it a go and see if they like it. It would also be good for their skin, I believe. Will talk to my vet and see what she says.
LittleMiss
LittleMiss

Number of posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Raw Feeding Empty Re: Raw Feeding

Post by Admin Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:20 pm

my pooches get a good variety of foods

*dry dog food always available

*what ever my 3 yr old son doesnt eat for breeky and lunch lol!

*then for dinner (varys every night)
most nights is either pasta,rice,mixed veg,meat raw egg mized in and what ever scraps we leave from dinner!

*once a week they get a marrowbone from the butchers so they can have something to chew

*plus they get them chew dog bones (i cant stand the sound they make when they eat them)

i try and give them a variety because my beleif is,we dont like to eat the same thing over and over so why should our dogs)
with zander being so large and eating alot we have to throw the pasta and rice in because other wise it doesnt fill him and it costs alot more with out it!
i must be doing something right because they have lovely shiny coats!!
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1292

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:51 pm

Exactly once before when we were kids and now thats well over thirty years ago our dogs only ever lived on scraps that is what he got. He always looked good. Scraps wont kill them. Sounds like your woofers eat well.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Raw Feeding Empty food

Post by sharreem Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:43 pm

I fed my pups eagle pack for large and giant breeds http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/SP_LGPuppy.html have a read about what it says.

Angel our bitch now gets either eagle pack, science diet or Eukanuba... she gets bored with one flavour so thats why i change.
I have learnt the hard way about scraps being given to dogs. Ebony our old girl nearly died last year from pancrienitis ..... fat poisoning... She always had scraps all her life from the kids left overs. One day she had some sausause scraps in her bowl....well to cut a long story short after $1800 vet bill she no longer has scraps.. she is only aloud chicken breasts and boiled rice. her pancriese can no longer disolve fat. PLEASE be careful feeding dogs older than 7 years old any scraps. My dog lived but two dogs I know of died from the same thing she had...their owners were not so lucky!!! Evil or Very Mad
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1215

Back to top Go down

Post by herbiedog Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:02 pm

We were advised to give Herbie the barf diet (raw) when we had fear aggression problems with him..

He now has chicken wings , mince beef, turkey, sardines, veg and rice occassionaly I mix a raw egg in him food but have had to stop mixing in the shell as however small I mash it he seems to gag on it.....
herbiedog
herbiedog
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1832

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:45 pm

Ok sounds good never fed mine turkey it is more available now. But Australians do not eat that much of it. I have to be honest it is not one of my real favourites.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yacket's Mum Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:19 pm

My greyhounds were getting chicken mince with there dry food (eagle pack here too and ever now and then eukanuba) but they were getting sick of it so now I feed them turkey necks and chicken frames and wings. They also get youghurt and once a week they get sardiens or mackrel with there meal. They also have marrow bones and chews.
Yacket's Mum
Yacket's Mum

Number of posts : 479

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:39 am

Sounds good enough to eat.... LOL!!
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by herbiedog Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:07 am

Looks like our dogs are all well fed...... bounce

Every now and then we have really cheap turkey legs in our supermarket so I snap some up for the freezer..not my fav food either
herbiedog
herbiedog
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:22 pm

Might have to try some turkey for mine perhaps they may enjoy it for a change.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by herbiedog Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:50 am

They will love it...
herbiedog
herbiedog
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:53 am

Have to find some first but I will. 
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:22 am

our woolworths sell lots of turkey.. I think its called safeway in Vic. In the fresh chicken deli they sell it.
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1215

Back to top Go down

Post by herbiedog Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:44 am

Our woolworths have gone...sob.. sob ..but they sold all sorts but not food only pick and mix sweets....and our Safeways are now called Morrisons..
herbiedog
herbiedog
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:59 pm

They are now called woolworths again why I dont know cause they were Woolies then went to Safeway and now back to woolworths stupid. I will check it out for them.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum