dog forums 4 everyone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you feed your adult dog once or twice a day?

+2
sharreem
dogsshouldbedogs
6 posters

Go down

Do you feed your adult dog once or twice a day? Empty Do you feed your adult dog once or twice a day?

Post by dogsshouldbedogs Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:00 am

I have always read that you feed puppies 3 times a day till 6months than 6-12months twice a day then over 12 months once a day.

HOWEVER, I have only ever fed my dog twice a day - once in the morning and once in the late afternoon. He doesn’t get more food he just gets his one meal but in two smaller potions. I believe that just like humans dogs need energy in the morning to get through the day, plus it is in my opinion; better to feed two small meals to minimize Bloat and makes it easier to digest food.

What are other people’s thoughts and scientific research that has been proven better for dogs?

dogsshouldbedogs

Number of posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Do you feed your adult dog once or twice a day? Empty Re: Do you feed your adult dog once or twice a day?

Post by sharreem Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:22 am

I have found that if i feed mydogs twice a day they seem to gain more weight??? I dont know why as they would get the same amount of food. So now they get fed after we have had our dinner at night... so they know we are the pack leaders and in the morning they get one of those biscuit bones for breakfast and they also get one to go to bed with. My old girl knows her routine and is always coming inside after her dinner and after her toileting and sits patiently waiting on her bed for her supper treat. :-)
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1215

Back to top Go down

Do you feed your adult dog once or twice a day? Empty Re: Do you feed your adult dog once or twice a day?

Post by dogsshouldbedogs Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:32 am

Right, so in essence you do feed your dog twice a day ie you do give them something to eat in the morning even if it is just a biscuit.

I give my guy, a chicken wing in the morning with 1 cup of dry kibble, then roo meat in the afternoon with one 1 cup of dry. So I do half BARF half dry. Once a week I give him Sardines for Omega 3 oils etc.

I guess all dogs are different and will thrive on different things so it all comes down to individual dogs, but it is good to see what other people feed their dogs Smile

dogsshouldbedogs

Number of posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by Beth<3 Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:57 am

my dogs get something small in the morning ei;biky,toast,chicken frame,

Then at night they have a main meal. this is how we have fed all of our dogs and it is what works for us.
Beth<3
Beth<3
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 886

Back to top Go down

Post by Yacket's Mum Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:27 am

My dogs all get treats in the morning and then there main meal at night to go to bed with. I feed as much dry food as they want to eat and the males get 500gm chicken mince and the girls get 300g chicken mince and puppy gets rolled meat. They all get yogurt and usually chicken wings or necks and on sundays they get sardines as well....Sounds all confusing but it works for me and the greyhounds thrive.
Yacket's Mum
Yacket's Mum

Number of posts : 479

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:59 am

My two have dry food down 24/7 they can eat as much as they like they get wet food in the afternoon and that can consist of chicken necks, minced meat, tinned dog food and rolled dog meat. They are doing really well on it. So I guess they get fed twice a day in some respects but wet food is only once a day.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3782

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:21 pm

hey yackets mum gourmet delight on sundays sound good lol
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1215

Back to top Go down

Post by Yacket's Mum Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:59 am

I know if I didn't know what I put in there I might be tempted to eat it myself...... Very Happy
Yacket's Mum
Yacket's Mum

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:06 am

Very well taken greyhounds with gourmet delights on sunday. Lucky dogs.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3782

Back to top Go down

Post by lorie Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:15 am

Mingo gets one frozen raw (i thaw it) nugget in the am. She used to get two at night but started getting fat, with a few pieces of carrot. She gets one now, and a few pieces of good kibble. but, I feed her off a pickle fork because she would be done before I had a bite and stare at me the whole time I ate.
So, I get a bite , she does.and so on, Makes me eat slower too.
Also, this sounds mean, but I throw the few dry kinbbles she gets. She thinks it's a game and bounds off like a bunny after it.
lorie
lorie
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1228

Back to top Go down

Post by Yacket's Mum Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:53 pm

Well when you think of it Lorie dogs in the wild don't have there food feed to them in beautiful dishes they have to find it on the ground. When my lot tip there food over I leave it there for them to eat...at $120 bag of dry food there is no wastage....
Yacket's Mum
Yacket's Mum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down