dog forums 4 everyone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Puppy preschool disaster

5 posters

Go down

Puppy preschool disaster Empty Puppy preschool disaster

Post by sharreem Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:21 pm

I thought I would tell you all about my puppy preschool experience. What a joke.
Two thursdays ago it started and no puppies the first night. They told us wha we will be doing and how we will be training the pups. The trainer had a 16month old ridgeback to demonstrate. This dog was not trained and she said she was retraining her. The dog jumped on everyones laps and was very disobeidient. I just kept my mouth shut and observed. She did not correct the dog once. Then she told us all that she uses a clicker to train the dog she will click the clicker when the dog sits or lays down then she will know what to do.... what a joke. This dog didnt know jack shit!!!!!
She asked everyone if they woud like to use the clicker training and everyone said no. so then she said to us that when we see our pup sit or drop to yell out in an excited voice YES.... I just sat there tight lipped and didnt mutter a word.
When the class finished I spoke to the trainer and let her know that I am bringing goldie to socialize with other pups and will be using my training methods with hand signals and words associated with the signal then told her I will be continuing after with my trainer when she is older. She was happy with thaat and apprieciated me letting her know how I felt about the training.
I went last Thursday with Goldie and she already knows sit, drop and stay. As I was walking in I got golgie to sit drop and stay before we entered the class. The trainer saw Goldie achieving and commented how well she was doing. She then precceeded to tell the class we will be training with hand signals and can me and Goldie gie a demonstration.
So she changed her training methods straight away and the clas learnt how to train a puppy the right way... shows how much she trusts her own methods!!!!
Goldie is the star of the class as she is such a relaxed pup and is already obeidient.
I am only taking her to see oher breeds and not for the training aspect but I dont think the lady knew what she was talking about! I nearlywent to get a refund as the classes were $90 but I am persisting with it for Goldies sake Puppy preschool disaster Icon_rolleyes
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1215

Back to top Go down

Puppy preschool disaster Empty Re: Puppy preschool disaster

Post by Mali Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:28 pm

She sounds like a complete and utter idiot!! I would tell her employee for $90 I would want someone better than that. Your in a good position to know better what about those that don't you would be better taking the class than her!!
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3782

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:36 pm

I had one couple that has a springer spaniel ask me to show them how to get i to sit and drop and i saw them yesterday and they are doing well with those.
The thing that makes me mad is this is the only puppy school that is available at the moment. The other ones have just finished up and wont be starting again until the first week in october. Then goldie will be too old for the classes. I need her to get used to all breeds of dog. at least in this class there is a springer, a beaglier, a spoodle and a ridgeback pup. Tney only allow 6 pups in the class and max goldies brother is the other pup.
yes I did mention it to the owners of the shop.its at petstock... not saying that all petstock puppy schools would be the same but im glad I have a bit of knowledge behind me.
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by lorie Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:58 pm

Good for you Shareem! Mingo was the first dog I ever owned as an adult, ( well, the jury's still out on the "adult" part)

I took her to classes, she was TOOO LITTLE to be with the other dogs that were there..so, I kinda gave up on it. Puppy preschool disaster Icon_redface

But, when I got Natalie, I realized Mingo WAS A BRAT!

Now, they can both sit, stay , dance. but, I have no funds at the moment for more training so I improvise. I hope I am not doing any damage. but i lucked out with Nat, she's a sweetheart, if a little jump-up-y. I'm ignorng her now when I get home and making her "sit" .

I know very little about training, but she will get bigger, I must learn.
lorie
lorie
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1228

Back to top Go down

Post by Yacket's Mum Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:18 pm

That is shocking... I am glad you had the sense to let her know that her training was not happening at your place with your dog and well done for your amazing progress.
Yacket's Mum
Yacket's Mum

Number of posts : 479

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:26 am

Why don't you start your own puppy school shareem?? It sounds like a winner to me and offer different size classes etc. The girl doing it at petstock is probably not qualified sounds to me that you would do a better job anyway. $90 is alot of money for a couple of weeks course with two thats $180...
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sharreem Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:05 am

I know $90 for 5 weeks or should I say 4 weeks with a dog there.
I would love to do a puppy preschool. I should look into it more
sharreem
sharreem
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:16 am

You should I think you would do a marvellous job I really do.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by herbiedog Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:49 am

minifoxiesgsd wrote:Why don't you start your own puppy school shareem?? It sounds like a winner to me and offer different size classes etc. The girl doing it at petstock is probably not qualified sounds to me that you would do a better job anyway. $90 is alot of money for a couple of weeks course with two thats $180...

the same thought was going through my mind
herbiedog
herbiedog
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1832

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:45 pm

Have you thought any more about this Sharreem??
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum