dog forums 4 everyone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Witnessed Epileptic fit

+3
Mali
lorie
herbiedog
7 posters

Go down

Witnessed Epileptic fit Empty Witnessed Epileptic fit

Post by herbiedog Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:18 pm

Today whilst visiting my Aunt and Uncle their dog Skip had an Epileptic fit .. it was not nice to witness and they both handled it so well and really calmly but my Uncle asked us what we would do in their shoes ..

They really do not know what to do since February he has had about 20 fits and it really is taking quite a lot out of him and them ..but he is such a beautiful boy..

But
a little of his brain cells die each time he has a fit and we can see him changing

We really
Couldn't answer them and don't know what we would do in their situation

What would you all do?

herbiedog
herbiedog
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1832

Back to top Go down

Witnessed Epileptic fit Empty Re: Witnessed Epileptic fit

Post by lorie Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:03 pm

That's aweful to see Liz..have they been to the vet? My cat had some and the best thing to do is too keep calm and quiet. My cat "grew out' of them. But that's all I know.. Witnessed Epileptic fit Icon_cry
lorie
lorie
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1228

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:30 pm

I had a german shepherd that was an epileptic we did a barrage of tests on him to find out his problem and it was epilepsy. My vet put him on phenobarbitol an anti epileptic medication for people which was expensive from the vets but went to my GP told him what I needed it for and instead of paying $30 a bottle I got it for $5 on prescription thanks to the PBS. However the seizures become more and more and it all became too much for me I could not let him suffer anymore he could have taken a fit anywhere anytime so for me the only thing I could do was put him down he was five years old when I did that and it killed me. I personally would not own a epileptic dog but that is just my opinion.

If they have not had the dog diagnosed then I suggest they go to their vet and discuss it with him or her work out a medication routine if they want to go down that road also it could be his diet I would remove all coloured treats and dry food out of his diet. Rescue remedy is also very good a couple of drops a day in milk will also help. My friend has a dog that takes fits and she did this and the improvement was remarkable. This is another avenue to go down, rescue remedy has been the best thing out for her dog a german shepherd.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3782

Back to top Go down

Post by hamma Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:30 pm

Truely is something awful to experience... has the dog been diagnosed by a vet as having epilepsy or are the owners diagnosing? If it is an epileptic fit you can medicate, however some medication can have side effects for example my MIL has a Westie with epilepsy she put him on tablets and now he has had to have all of his teeth removed from side effects of the drugs he is on.

Epilepsy is neurologically (sp. should of had more coffee before i wrote this...lol) related which would explain the deteriation of brain cells. It truely is saddening when it is out of our control to help, tell them just to sit with him and talk to him while he is fitting...he will be thankful for the comfort...

As for what I would do.... it really depends on his quality of life...
Sorry i couldnt be of more help..
cheers
hamma
hamma

Number of posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Post by herbiedog Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:15 am

He has been diagnosed and has also had brain scan and lots and lots of test at the vet college in Hertfordshire one of the best teaching colleges here in the UK ... all the test for a brain tumour are negative and epilepsy is the cause.. he is on daily meds and has rectal meds when in a fit to bring him out of it......

It is just to judge when enough is enough... My Uncle is 77 and I know that it is tearing him apart .. Skip is only 4 and the love of his and my Aunts life...

They are very good when he is in a fit and do sit and comfort him....

They have got to the stage where they are not going out too far as don't want to leave him..we have said don't do that we are not to far away we will sit with him as they do need a break sometime....

But it's such a big decision to make and one that I am thankful is not mine.....
herbiedog
herbiedog
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Yacket's Mum Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:14 am

Oh my heart goes out to your family. We had a friend whos golden reteriver had epilepsy and when it became often they had him put down I think he was about 6. They were shattered
Yacket's Mum
Yacket's Mum

Number of posts : 479

Back to top Go down

Post by herbiedog Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:41 am

Thank you everyone....

Skip has had 3 more fits since yesterday..... Witnessed Epileptic fit Icon_sad

I am waiting to hear from my Aunt ...when I phoned her this morning they had made the decision to have him PTS and wanted the vet to come to their home to do it.......

Will keep you all informed not only will they loose a valued member of their family Herbie will also be loosing his bestest friend in the whole world.....
herbiedog
herbiedog
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by lorie Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:06 am

Aw, I'm sorry they couldn't control it better, Witnessed Epileptic fit Icon_cry hugs to you and your family, and herbie..
lorie
lorie
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 1228

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:50 am

So sorry liz that is awful. Let us know and we are here for you...
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beth<3 Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:56 am

Oh liz this is just horrible. Your poor Aunt and Uncle and poor skip.

Must be so hard to watch every day and be helpless to stop it.

i really hope they can find something that can help settle him..

Thoughts are with you!
Beth<3
Beth<3
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 886

Back to top Go down

Post by herbiedog Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:35 am

I have just had the news from my Aunt that Skip was PTS this morning they are feeling totally lost ..

I am just waiting for them to call in so that I can give them both a big hug and share some tears..

RIP Skip
herbiedog
herbiedog
Chataholic
Chataholic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mali Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:37 pm

That is awful but I think they have made the right decision as heartbreaking as it is... run free skip run to the bridge god's speed beautiful one.
Mali
Mali
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oldboi Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:44 pm

It's a terrible thing to watch, we hand reared a Rotti (Zenna was her name) an she ended up gettin Epilepsy an to watch her was devistatin. We had all the test's done an she was on human med's to help the fit's. She lived happily till she was 5, but with the occassional hikup's, it was very hard to keep her quiet as she was very active, which would bring on the fit's. She passed peacefully at home... Witnessed Epileptic fit Icon_sad
Sorry to hear ... please except our sympathies Witnessed Epileptic fit 845801
oldboi
oldboi
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 773

Back to top Go down

Post by Yacket's Mum Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:24 pm

Oh sorry to here about Skip. We are all thinking of you and wish we could give you a big hug and shed some tears with you in person.
Yacket's Mum
Yacket's Mum

Number of posts : 479

Back to top Go down

Post by Beth<3 Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:32 pm

Terrible news, But skip is now at peace and they made the right choice i am sure. It is never and easy choice to make.

RIP little skip!!
Beth<3
Beth<3
Chataholic
Chataholic

Number of posts : 886

Back to top Go down

Post by herbiedog Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:31 am

Thank you everyone ......
herbiedog
herbiedog